Author: John Gaskins
Greetings from Bogota! We have all acclimated to the altitude and are enjoying the people and delicious food here in Colombia. At our team devotion this morning we all reflected on how we felt the team has hit a rhythm with each other and our interactions with the great folks of Vida Bogota.
How we see God’s hand in our interactions here so far.....
- John spoke to a little over a hundred college students and faculty at Universidad EAN
- Team met with staff and key lay leaders of Vida Bogota’ Church to encourage them and share what we have been learning at Mountaintop
- Our team in pairs participated in three in-home Small Groups
- Sightseeing, Conversation & Fellowship with key church staff
“Leadership for a New Generation”....
During my talk called “Habits of Highly Productive People”, I tried to subtly weave faith in, and challenge the students that truly being a high performing individual is not just about business success. The talk was well received and over 10 students asked about coming to our next business community event this Saturday morning. The event is hosted by Vida Bogota and will hopefully be the next step towards people attending the church.
This has been the topic we’ve started each morning within our team devotion and prayer time. Betsy has blessed us with some phenomenal context and stories coupled with scripture to help us start our day off remembering what we are called to do. Betsy closed our most recent session with a challenge to "notice" opportunities to encourage as we go about our schedule.
God Using Stories....
Jeff and Amy Freels visited a High School small group and found themselves surrounded by over 25 youth. The Freels both had a chance to share their testimony and encourage these “leaders for the next generation”. Amy was able to speak directly into the lives of the young ladies about respecting themselves and honoring their bodies.
Jeff connected with one young man in particular named Santiago who was struggling with anxiety. Jeff and Santiago had a one-on-one conversation where Jeff was able to share about his relationship with Christ and how he confronts anxiety with prayer. After Jeff shared, Santiago said “now I know why I came tonight”. Santiago was encouraged and Jeff was encouraged by a God who would fly him across continents to share his story with a young man who was struggling.
PRAYERS NEEDED FOR:
- Our words and the follow up conversations from the event bear fruit and serve as one more nudge down the attendees spiritual journey.
- John speaking twice at a Business Community event Sat morning
- Ron, Jeff, Amy, Betsy and MB will be loving on Single Moms and Kids at Risk in a poor outlying area of town.
- Mari Beth preaching both services at Vida Bogota
- Amy's upcoming training for the Vida Bogota children's volunteers